Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Art of Collaboration


I recently had the opportunity to work with a poet that I met in Second Life. A non-profit arts organization, DaVinci Isle, sponsored a poetry auction to raise money for the War Child Charity.(a charity devoted to providing aid to children conscripted to wars around the globe) People bid on the participating poets, meaning that if they won the bid, they would work with the poet who would then write a personal poem based on the thoughts and/or desires described to them by the winners. I offered to do a painting using the poem written by the poet who won with the highest bid. I in this case, the poet's Second Life name is Skylar Smythe. I won't take the liberty of publishing the poem here as it was based on the personal input given her by her winner and the poet's own personal insights. However, I will share the mixed water media painting that I created after reading the work. As an artist, I would never presume to interpret another artist's work; I would, however, show my reaction to the work with paint. The title of the piece is "The Escape"

Hearts and minds working together, worlds apart but brought together by art. Life is good.

No comments: