Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Awaiting the storm


This morning there are no rainbows leading the way. This morning there's just lots of gray meeting my eye from every direction. Hurricane Omar is out there just sort of lumbering along. It looks like it will track just east of us which is good for us, bad for Vieques and St. Thomas. We're expected to get up to 20" of rain though, which is why I'm worrying. I have friends that live in the area that will bear the brunt of this thing. They're up in the mountains and with the 30" of rain we got a few weeks ago, another 20" is going to cause some serious mudslides. I'm up in the mountains too, but I'm on the north side of the island, opposite of where the storm is coming in, so I'm feeling a bit safer.


I've been trying to paint but with the storm pending, I'm distracted. I have a gallery owner from Miami coming to my studio on Friday to check out my paintings. She's interested in representing me. I'm fussing over having to close my house down for this storm and move all kinds of stuff from outside to in, and then unpacking the house in time for the gallery owner's arrival. It's hard to look at paintings in the dark (if the power goes off) whilst crawling around bbq's, outdoor furniture and generators, ya know? But I will make it work....assuming she can make the drive out here from San Juan.


Off to buy gas and dog food....and more cheeze whiz.

No comments: