Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Masks We Wear


Had a wonderful day in Second Life on Sunday! Started off with a lecture/discussion by my fellow avatar Emile Sands on the topic of masks and how they relate to the concept of avatars in a virtual world. It was fascinating. Afterwards we had a formal masquerade ball at a park across the street from my gallery where the lecture was. A Second Life jeweler made 8 custom masks for the event that were free to everyone coming to the event. We had a great crowd that stayed all 3 hours and best of all... I sold a LOT of paintings!

I have made a lot of serious contacts in Second Life in relation to my work, but it's also so much fun just being able to fantasize. I live in a very "casual" environment, and have neither the time nor inclination to dress formally. But in Second Life.... it's a hoot!

Another avatar friend of mine in Second Life, Wynd Ling, who owns a sim devoted to creative design in a virtual world has written about the ball on her blog. Check it out here!

No comments: